The Process of Replacing Your Garage Door
One of the largest home improvement or repairs is replacing a garage door. They are large and need precise installation to work correctly. Garage doors come in different types:
- Double doors that swing open.
- A single door that lifts up. This type of door is seldom seen anymore.
- A door made from several long, connected panels that roll up and overhead.
Garage Door Openers
Doors made thirty years ago are a distinctly different size than they are today. Most cars made then were huge. Many doors of this size still exist. Replacement doors may need to be custom made because of the size. Today’s doors are lighter; they are lifted by automatic openers much easier than wooden doors.
The technicians at Mile High Garage are highly trained to install or repair a garage door quickly and efficiently. They can reset or fix an opener or springs as well. Homeowners should never try to adjust or install springs themselves. They hold a tremendous amount of energy and if they break, they can send a tool flying with enough impact to kill someone.
Garage Door Questions
Many customers have questions about the installation or repair of a garage door, opener or springs. The following information is given to help you understand the process and hopefully answer a few of your questions.
- The first step is to select the door you want. Your current door will be measured by a technician. These measurements will help identify the correct size door for your home.
- When installing the new door, the technicians will release the old spring. The amount of tension in the springs is stored energy. Once this is done, the work will progress. The technicians will remove the old door and tracks. The old door and tracks will be set aside. Old hardware will not be used in the installation. If the door is a segmented door, the segments will be removed one by one. All of the hardware will be collected and properly disposed of.
- The new tracks will be installed so the new door will open and close easily. On the bottom door segment, weather stripping will be installed. Rollers will be installed on the new door segments and inserted into the tracks. The hinges will then be attached so the entire door will move as one unit.
- At the top of the door, the brackets for the springs will be mounted. These are threaded onto the rods and the cables will be attached. When the door is opened, the tension placed on the cable will hold it in place. The springs will then be adjusted by the technician.Garage Door Torsion Spring.
- If an opener is installed, Mile High Garage will install it at this point. He or she will answer all of your questions about how to maintain your new door and opener. If anything happens during the warranty period, repairs will be covered.
- The garage area will be cleaned up and the old door placed in a proper area for large item pickup or hauled away.
We offer emergency service twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week. Our technicians can maintain or repair any model or type of door you have. We can install an opener for your existing door.
A new garage door will give your home an instant face lift. Since most new doors are energy efficient, you may find your utility bill lower if your house and garage are attached. Items stored in the garage will fare better with an insulated door keeping the summer heat out and the winter heat inside. You might find the garage comfortable enough to use it as an extra room.